Tuesday, 14 October 2014

A Sweetie A Weekie :: Pulled Butter Toffee



Hello my lovely friends


Well it's week two of

A Sweetie A Weekie
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 




Sweet B and I are having great fun with this
and have already planned the next two sweetie makes

This week we made
Pulled Butter Toffee
from the wonderful Miss Hope & Mr Greenwood's book
Sweets made simple
and it was pretty simple
I always imagined toffee making to be really complicated
but
No



Whilst our toffee was bubbling away it smelt quite awful
anyway once cooled a little we donned our oiled~up marigolds and got toffee twisting
a little scary at first
but properly funny after we knew what we were supposed to be doing.

We weren't sure how nice the end result was going to be
BUT
Oh My ..... tis' very VERY GOOD indeed
and it certainly tastes SO much better than it smelt whilst bubbling!






Just a little note though
if you fancy giving this s a try ..... 
in the book and in the link I gave above it says to stir until the sugar has dissolved

Do Not Stir!

I'd luckily recorded the TV series
and when I read 'stir' ..... a little teeny tiny alarm bell rang in my head
we watched the episode back to hear Miss Hope say quite clearly
and I quote .....

"I know how naughty you are but
PLEASE don't fiddle with it, don't prod it around
just leave it alone so that the butter & sugar get to know each other"

So there you have it
DO NOT STIR

A Sweetie A Weekie :: week one

Anyone else making sweeties?

Thank you for popping by as always
I LOVE it that you do


Back soon

BIG love
x Jooles x





13 comments:

  1. Mmmm, looks yummy! :)
    I made some coconut ice this weekend but cinder toffee is next on my list!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so impressed. I've never made anything that involves a thermometer. They are always saying don't stir on TGBBO, so it's a real shame the nook is wrong! I'd love to have a go, but my caps would fall off! Toffee is a treat from the past I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo does look lovely! I dare not risk making sweets until closer to Christmas because I have very little will power! We are trying to bake something new each week - something we've never made before - a bit like our own bake off. It's a request from my kiddies!! This weekend we're making eclairs. I have bought a gorgeous mould from dunelm of silicone gingerbread men. It is gorgeous and we will try tempering chocolate and giving as gifts later next month. Looking forward to seeing your sweets next week! J9 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have invited myself for a cup of tea and a sweetie.....at least in my heart!!!! ENJOY? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you! Those look delicious! . . . I tried making taffy at home years ago and it was the most horrible disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your buttery sweeties look delicious, and I am sure I would enjoy them! It was so interesting to see this post, I love making sweets but as they are just too yummy I try not to very often! I love the idea of weekly sweetie posts and shall be saving these ideas for my Christmas sweetie making! Thank you for sharing, lovely Jooles.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. What professional looking sweeties you made. I made some lemon squares yesterday - tart and sweet all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmmmmy!! Andy and I loved that series and the book is on my Christmas list. Oh my goodness what a typo error, good job you were on the ball! Looking forward already to next weeks 'a sweetie a weekie' post already. S xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look delicious!

    And you've prompted me to look out my sugar thermometer. Years ago I used to make sweets as Christmas presents every year but I've lost the habit somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh yum! They look great Jooles and most professional wrapped up in the sweetie papers. The book is on my Christmas list so I won't be making any for a while, but thank you for the heads up on not stirring. And I absolutely adore your puss cat bowl, I think I want one of those for Christmas too. Enjoy the rest of your week, looking forward to next sweetie post.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your pussy cat bowl and the sweets look delicious! Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that you are so brave making your own sweets!! Well done you for getting such good results, I am so glad that they tasted so good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute bowl! And cute sweeties!!! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by..... I love it that you do!
Your kind comments make my day & I love to know what you think.

If you ask me a question please tick the 'Notify Me' box so you'll know when I have responded.

Love Jooles x x x