Thursday, 10 October 2013

Blackberry & cinnamon yogurt loaf cake & some chatter



What a  B E A U T I F U L  day it has been here today
Absolutely Glorious.
The most perfect Autumn weather ever
Bright and Sunny
Fresh and Windy
pretty autumn leaves flying through the air
and crispy underfoot
I. Just. Love. It.

I hope you've had a nice weather day too


I thought I'd pop by with a recipe for you
a seasonal one too


Blackberry & cinnamon yogurt loaf

Sweet B was the first one to bake this cake
it has stayed a BIG favourite around these parts




You will need .....

125ml (4fl oz) sunflower oil
175g (6oz) plain flour
1 1/2 level tsp baking powder
1 1/2 level tsp ground cinnamon
200g (7oz) frozen blackberries
125g (4oz) caster sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon
125ml (4fl oz) greek yogurt
3 medium eggs, beaten

Preheat the oven to 190C (170C fan oven) or gas mark 5

♥ Grease a 900g (2lb) loaf tin and baseline with greaseproof paper

♥ Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl, add frozen berries and toss to coat. Make a well in the centre.

♥ In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, lemon zest and juice, yogurt and eggs. Pour into the well in the flour mixture and stir.

♥ Spoon into the tin, level the surface and bake for 50 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
(cover with foil if the top is browning too quickly)

♥ Dust with icing sugar and E N J O Y.




This is another recipe pulled out of my very scary
 and embarrassingly untidy recipe folder
it's from good housekeeping magazine
from 2003 ..... that's ten years ago!
I can't have had it that long .....
!

I'm not sure if there are still blackberries around in the hedgerows
I hope so
I shall have a look at the weekend

We had a lovely picking session a few weeks ago now




As this cake uses frozen berries
(although I have also used fresh with no problems)
I tend to freeze them in little bags already weighed out to 200g
that way we can rustle one up whenever we fancy
I know you can buy blackberries in the supermarket all year round
 but I just don't!



You may remember a looong time ago (January in fact)

I had a bright idea to have 
'a bake a month'
(you can read about my plans here)
that failed.
I do however have a page along the top
for some of our favourite recipes
I'll add this cake to it also
please let me know if you try any, I'd love to know what you think.


Now, as we are on the subject of cake ...... I forgot to say
 Yes Yes Yes
I will certainly accept cake for rent 
 for any house on my shelf
any cake for any house
thank you for all of the kind offers ladies
carrot cake from Annie
Lemon drizzle from Caroline
and 
Tea & chocolate chip cookies from Chrissie
please move right in!
I may have to buy another little house
 and convert it to a gym if you keep on baking like this.


I couldn't write a post about blackberries without showing you 
T H I S



Be still my 





This little cup makes my heart giddy
It's an expresso cup
I don't like expresso
but that didn't stop me
it was sitting there, on the shelf at Susie Watson
all tiny and gorgeous and tempting with my name all over it
I HAD to make it mine
I LOVE that shop so much.

Anyway ..... turns out that I did need it after all
It's a perfect 'Downham' dahlia display vessel
See.
OOOooohhh soooo pretty.



Happy baking!

BIG love
x Jooles x


13 comments:

  1. Oh yummy!!! Looks and sounds perfect Jooles, and I have tubs and tubs of blackberries picked from the hedgerows this year - its been a bumper crop around here for weeks -and I know my daughter will love to try this recipe.
    Love that sweet little mug, perfect for this time of year, and that Dahlia is amazing - a work of natures art, and what a glorious colour!
    Have a great weekend and thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Jooles that looks like the perfect autumn cake, thanks so much for the recipe. We still have some blackberries on the hedgerows around here so I'll be trying this cake out at the weekend. It was a good autumn day today wasn't it, swirling leaves were everywhere and I dusted off my scarf and wrist-warmers today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Thank you for sharing the recipe, I already have my blackberries measured and in freezer bags, so this will be a breeze! And I am loving that mug, may I have it filled with hot chocolate next time I come round? :-) Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake sounds very delicious and yes, of COURSE you had to buy that cup, it's so beautiful. Would you accept flapjacks as rent for the rainbow house? I make an excellent flapjack. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gillian ..... Oh yes flapjack is perfect thank you xxx

      Delete
  5. Jokes your recipe is divine, the type of cake we need today, now! Could just eat a slice now Jooles, can't wait to try it. Your cup is superb Jooles, you had to own it. A really fab post, thank you so much. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. so yummy!!!!
    thank you Jooles, xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a piece of that yummy cake right now with my afternoon cup of tea! Thank you for sharing the recipe. Your little blackberry cup is so beautiful...I do love Susie Watson designs and how understated and delicate the colours and patterns are.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend, lovely Jooles!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear! I'm feeling VERY hungry all of a sudden!!! That cake looks deeeeelicious!!!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that cake looks delish! I must give it a try :)
    The lemon drizzle is in the oven, so pop the kettle on!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Love Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scrummy blackberry cake ... nothing nicer! And now I'm off to grate some carrots ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by..... I love it that you do!
Your kind comments make my day & I love to know what you think.

If you ask me a question please tick the 'Notify Me' box so you'll know when I have responded.

Love Jooles x x x