Wednesday, 10 October 2012

little orchard



Hello
I took these pictures last weekend
the sunshine was just so pretty on these beauties









I’m just popping by quickly today
as I am should be in full birdie production
I wanted to show you what I was up to last weekend.
We have a teeny tiny orchard at the top of our garden
with a Bramley apple, Morello cherry, Victoria plum and a fig tree
I have had dreams of turning it into a little daffodil orchard
after Mr Sweet and I visited Jane Austin's house in Chawton last spring
I just fell in love with the daffodils there
 I've not been able to forget it ever since





 I ordered my bulbs from here
no surpise there!
135 Narcissi, but 'Narcissi orchard' somehow sounds odd to me
but that is what it will be


Narcissi 'Hawera'
Narcissi 'Hawera'
Narcissi 'Minnow'
Narcissi 'Minnow'
Narcissi 'Pueblo'
Narcissi 'Pueblo'
Narcissi 'Felindre' with Allium cristophii
Narcissi 'Felindre'

Narcissus 'W.P. Milner' in a terracotta container
Narcissi 'W.P. Milner'

I have planted about half .....
my poor hands were wrecked and I even got a blister :o(
so I decided to plant in two batches
my hands are not looking forward to this weekend.
Monty made it look so easy
it could be because his bulb planter is good and mine is not .....
I did exactly as he said ..... get a handful and chuck them
It worked a treat, thanks Monty.





Hopefully I will have something pretty to show you next spring.


Thank you for all of your kind comments on my last post
sorry if it was a bit Christmassy for some
but there is more of that to come
another 'sorry' in advance!
Well I must dash back to my sewing room
Christmas birdies should be fluttering into my shop by the weekend
with a bit of luck

Back soon
BIG love
j x


 


20 comments:

  1. What pretty photos! Isn't autumn sunshine special?!?
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous poppies! Your orchard is going to look amazing when those daffodils bloom. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jooles
    Can't wait to see the beautiful daffs next Spring. Your pain will be really worth it then! I have just been planting narcissus minnow too although not in the quantites you have. I love the optimism about gardening - even though this year was rubbish, we are all full of excitement about next year!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blooms Jooles! Ooh I LoVe spring bulbs.
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great at the weekend wasn't it! Your spring display will be fab! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your little orchard Will look beautiful next spring! I have a blister on my hand too, I planted a 100 tulips this afternoon. Wish you lots of success with your sewiing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jooles your orchard is going to be a sweet sight in spring. What a beautiful selection you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely autumnal sunshine snaps!! Wishing you a very productive day. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your orchard will be beautiful. :)
    Good old Monty, you can always rely on him for good advice!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hard work but it will all be worth it, I am sure they will look stunning, I potted up my daffs at the weekend, but I have to keep an eye out for the cheeky squirrel who visits the garden!
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those poppies are so beautiful in their fragility! And the daffodil orchard will be spectacular, I have no doubt. Enjoy your birdie stitching!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spent all last weekend planting allium bulbs in the back garden. I love bulb flowers, especially narcissi and tulips. Your orchard carpeted in colour will be stunning.

    (It's never too early for Christmassy posts for me...I LOVE it! I am currently planning xmas posts about nativity scenes and stockings...) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your orchard is going to be a sight to behold come Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to seeing your blooms ... they will herald spring ... loved your red and white post too ... Bee x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely pictures Jooles, thanks for coming to see me too! Looking forward to seeing the birdies later on xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh so looking forward to seeing your beautiful Spring blooms! I watched Monty too, he did make it look like a piece of cake, as he does with most things! I loved your last post, red and white at Christmas is my fav!
    Love Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love flowers under trees. Does your fig tree produce plenty of fruit? It was only yesterday that I was telling my sister in law that i wanted one but I wasn't sure whether our climate was right (Devon, UK). Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily
      thank you, to be honest we have'nt had a single fig yet but it was only planted two years ago, so i have high hopes for next year!
      I 'll let you know
      loev jooles x

      Delete

  18. ''.......and then my heart with pleasure fills and dances with the Daffodils"

    Roll on Spring, your orchard is going to look spectacular Jooles.......

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by..... I love it that you do!
Your kind comments make my day & I love to know what you think.

If you ask me a question please tick the 'Notify Me' box so you'll know when I have responded.

Love Jooles x x x