Saturday, 4 August 2012

Ta....Da!



Hello

Before I reveal my Ta Da
I just wanted to show you the gorgeous flowers
that Mr Sweet, my lovely hubby
gave me for our 21st wedding anniversary




Aren't they beautiful?
neither of us can believe we have been married for that long
TWENTY ONE YEARS
flipping heck.
Happy anniversary my lovely man
thank you for putting up with me


Well are you ready for it?
I am so excited...
my first EVER quilt Ta Da!
my 'flower patch' quilt
for chilling in the garden




 
I have to say that I absolutely adore it, every single pretty square of it





The evening that I actually finished it I was super over-excited
I could tell that my guys had had enough of me
I laid it out on the carpet, the bed, the sofa
I laid it out in Sweet B’s room, lovely G’s room
Me .....
”isn’t it beautiful? 
“isn’t it the prettiest quilt you ever did see?”
“which patch do you like best?”
“I like this one and this one and this one and this one and this one and…”
“did you realise that I even made the binding?”

yes I can clearly see now that I was mighty annoying
but I really do ADORE it










I had breakfast in the garden on it the very next morning
it made me so happy
it isn’t perfect, there are lots of mistakes
and lots of corners that don’t meet
but I am proud to have made my very first quilt
would you like to know some stats?

It has 154 squares
for which I used pre-cut Tilda fabric patches
 I LOVE mix and match so I got one of each of their sets
sewing bird
garden party
Christmas
winterbird
and the gorgeous backing fabric is also Tilda from the garden party range
and is called flower patch in blue

It measures 165 cm x 210 cm







Before I started I read lots on the internet
but mostly I followed instructions in Alicia Paulson's book
Stitched in time
there is a baby clothes quilt project in there
her instructions are so clear
which made it simples.

Oh my I LOVE that lady for so many reasons
and her blog is inspirational and Oh so beautiful

When it came to tying the squares
I couldn't figure out how to find the centre of each square
without having to measure and make marks
and then Sweet B came up with this genius idea
(it could be that everyone else does this 
or that there is some other way of doing it)
she made me a paper square the same size as my patches
with a little hole in the centre
all I did was lay it over each patch and stitch through the hole
in, out and tie
 easy peasy lemon squeezy







you can read more about my first quilt adventure here, here & here
that's if I haven't already bored you to death!

Just a quick little thing before I go
the lovely Nina left me a very kind comment on my last post
suggesting that I enter one of my photos into the
Sarah Raven photo competition
thank you Nina…I plucked up the courage and did it!
I don’t think I stand a chance to be honest
the standard of the photos is immense 
 here is my entry photo






A BIG "Hello" to all of my new followers
It is lovely to welcome you here
x
and as always ..... thank YOU for visiting
and for all your sweet comments on my last jammy post
you are the best

Wishing you a super dooper weekend

BIG love 
j x



28 comments:

  1. Hi Jooles,
    Just catching up with all your recent posts, all those wonderful photos .. fingers crossed for your competition entry!

    What a fabulous idea to get Sweet B posting and crafting too.

    Congratulations on your anniversary, what romantic flowers your hubby has given you...what a lucky girl you are!

    What can I say about your quilt....beautiful. You must be soooooo delighted with the finished result ...and a great link to Alicia's blog, her blog is one of my favourites, I go there to dream!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend, all that crafting has put me to shame : (

    Happy Days
    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, your quilt looks so gorgeous. Hard to believe it's your first, and you made your own binding - brilliant are you!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that certainly is one gorgeous quilt! Love it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary, my dear!!!!
    Your first (are you sure about that?) quilt is simply amazing!!!! I love it a lot!!!! Bravissima Jooles!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not surprised you were over-excited, that quilt is some achievement!!! It's gorgeous Jules, and if you hadn't mentioned the imperfections no-one would have noticed. Go you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love it! And it's huge! I understand your love - I was like that when I finished my mini quilt (much much smaller than yours - I don't know how you managed it!) and I still try to get my quilt into lots of my blog pictures! Those Tilda charms are amazing aren't they?! I'm still in awe at how big your quilt is - it's so impressive and gorgeous!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, hit 'Publish' too soon. Meant to say not to be so hard on yourself, that poppy pic is lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! Hope you get the chance to celebrate in style!

    Love your quilt...clever you....my favourite bit is the spotty binding, but the whole thing is pretty bloody gorgeous!

    Good luck with your pic and hope yourehaving a sunny weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is absolutely stunning Jooles! And the photo you've entered at Sarah Raven certainly stands a chance - its gorgeous!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely lovely quilt Jooles, can't believe it's your first it looks perfect! Congratulations on your wedding anniversary too ... enjoy your weekend

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous, I love Tilda. Thank you for the tips too, I will be going over to look at the other post as I now want to make my first quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Jooles...how sweet love the flowers and as for the quilt I'll echo what everyone else has said here....perfect and its your first...amazing!!!

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratul;ations on your anniversary Jooles! And your quilt! I can see why you are so proud and delighted by it. It is beautiful- you have made such a good job of it. And clever Sweet B- a little lateral thinking to save time:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt, Jooles!! Such gorgeous colours, and a lovely job too :) Your photos of flowers are always wonderful, I'm glad you entered one, it certainly does stand a chance. Congratulations to you both on your wedding anniversary...the flowers your hb bought are such a beautiful colour.
    Have a happy weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Jooles
    You should be proud of your quilt as it is a wonderful achievement. It is gorgeous. Many congratulations.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic achievement! Quilt and anniversary! Well done you, it looks truly beautiful and well done to Sweet B, I will remember that one when I finally pluck up the courage to quilt!! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is beautiful, a real piece of art. Also congratulations on your 21years of marriage. Trust me the next 21 years will just fly bye.......xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I particularly enjoyed reading your happy blog. Congratulations on your anniversary! Your quilt is lovely and I reread your quilty journey - what a wonderful job you have done and you will have to find somewhere to display in when there aren't any sunny days (not that we are having many of those in Cumbria). xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done Jooles, it's gorgeous and you should be very proud!! :)
    Happy anniversary to you and Mr Sweet!!!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely beautiful ... congratulations on finishing your lovely quilt and on your wedding anniversary ... Bee x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Jooles, your quilt is absolutely stunning, I love it! I would like to sit on it with you in your garden and drink tea!! I hope you enjoy using it, it's really beautiful :)

    And Happy Anniversary to you and Mr Sweet!

    Lots of love,
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Belated anniversary wishes to you both, here's to the next 21!
    Your quilt is AMAZING, no wonder you're proud Jooles :o)
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Anniversary - 21 years, wow! The quilt is super-gorgeous, you are right to be very proud of it. I love the colours and the binding is so pretty. I didn't bind my quilt as I couldn't get my head around how it worked but I wish I had now as it really makes it extra special. Good job well done!
    Gillian x
    ps I think that last photo is lovely, glad you entered it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your quilt - I can totally understand your obsession with it. I'm still collection fabric for my first quilt!! A great idea for stitching in the centre of the squares. Happy 21st Anniversary. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your quilt if absolutely beautiful, you should be soooo proud!I reallly want to make a patchwork quilt but wouldnt know where to begin :o( xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yahooo for you..your quilt is so lovely. And your flowers are stunning...hope your summer is going well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by..... I love it that you do!
Your kind comments make my day & I love to know what you think.

If you ask me a question please tick the 'Notify Me' box so you'll know when I have responded.

Love Jooles x x x