Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Postcards from Oxford



We had a lovely time in Oxford last weekend
It is an amazing city with bags of history





We went on a bus tour
rather windy but really interesting
I had no idea that there were so many different buildings to the university
they were spread all over the city






They are all breathtaking
















This building is a library
it is entitled to a copy of every single book that is published here in the UK
we were AMAZED to learn that under the roads there are miles of bookshelves
accessed by a train!
If a student wants to borrow a particular book
they have to fill in a form and then it can take up to six hours
for the book to be ready for collection






To get to the city each day we walked along part of the Thames
(we walked M.I.L.E.S over the weekend)
and we were in luck
we saw rowing practice






these guys were seriously fast
it so was exciting to watch






We ate far too much!
but still managed to squeeze in an amazing cream tea 
at the Grand Cafe






apparently, the first ever coffee house in England
how about that?!


Well it is turning out to be quite a week here
My lovely G started work yesterday
a real, proper, full time, grown up, getting paid job
He had a couple of interviews for it
one requiring a suit - to his horror!
anyhow, he has bagged himself a fantastic engineering apprenticeship
We are so proud of him

My sweet B is getting ready for uni now too
 we have a very big Ikea shop planned soon
(yay!)
and lots of form filling
(groan)

My mind is doing weird things
It is amazing that my children are growing into wonderful young people
I am so proud of them both
but it feels very odd
life is changing round here
and far too quickly for my liking


 


We have two lovely workmen here for a few days
one is my brother-in- law
he is the best carpenter in all of the land
My goodness they are very thirsty!
They are doing a few jobs
one is putting up a wall to make a snug/sewing kinda room
(I'll show you when it is all done)
we are also having a lovely new front door.

well I had best go and put the kettle on
don't want dehydrated workmen
(chance would be a fine thing!)

have a lovely week

more soon
j x


12 comments:

  1. Oxford looks beautiful- the architecture is incredible! I think a little train whizzing around under the city getting the books is cool!
    I know what you mean about life changing as the children grow up. Mine are a little younger than yours but I already feel as though things are changing at such a pace. You must be very proud of yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew Sweet I didn't know you were coming down my neck of the woods. Sounds like you had a fab time. Did you visit the castle? and what about the Pitt Rivers museum?

    Naomi
    (Shalotte)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am feeling the change too. This weekend we went away & only two of the four came with us. When we got home eldest child had gone off on her own holiday. She is starting at Oxford in October so we have got to know it a little. She is off to Balliol - opposite Cath Kidson so I know where I will potter when I visit! Will be making that same trip to Ikea. Really well done to your lovely boy to - he did well to get something as rare as an apprenticeship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah dotty, thank you I really am.
    It's very hard to let them go off into the big wide world x

    Shalotte...sadly we didn't visit either of those, we will have to have another visit, 2 days was no where near long enough, there is just so much to see and do. thanks though, i will be sure to do them both next time

    jooles x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah well you visited the Bod and had tea in a very nice cafe and enjpyed yourself and thats the main thing. Oxford is crammed full fo stuff really and its takes soo long to go around everything. If you do come again give us a nudge and I'll point you towards some great places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oxford is lovely, looks like you had a wonderful time!
    Congrats to your boy on getting his new job!
    I really don't envy you on the 'form filling'. ;)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am overjoyed you had such a happy weekend in Oxford. Your pictures filled me with nostalgia as my eldest daughter was born in Oxford over 15 years ago.

    Thank you so much for sharing your precious days with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oxford is lovely, but I've only been a couple of times, really should try and go more often. Your pictures are beaufiful of all the wonderful architecture, all those gargoyles are so intriguing to look at! Amazing really how much detail they have. Hope you have a good week - get that kettle on! hehe x p.s well done to your boy getting his job - you must be so proud x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am FINALLY getting a chance to catch up on your wonderful blog! Thanks for dropping by on mine. Call by and chat any time!! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to visit Oxford, and it was so nice to have a little trip there with you today! Your pictures are lovely - what a good time you have had.
    I'm glad your children are doing so well, and although things are changing fast..it's all good! Hope you have a lovely rest of the week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Oxford, it's such a beautiful city. Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

    Looking forward to seeing your home renovations!

    Nicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how lovely Oxford looks..that coffee shop is adorable! Love to you my friend. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by..... I love it that you do!
Your kind comments make my day & I love to know what you think.

If you ask me a question please tick the 'Notify Me' box so you'll know when I have responded.

Love Jooles x x x