Sunday, 8 May 2011

Table happiness



When we moved into our house 18 months ago
we inherited a VERY brown kitchen
with the addition of our oak table the brown theme got way out of control!
I could bare it no longer
so on Saturday I nipped into Cath Kidston
and bagged myself a couple of metres of pretty oilcloth
(It did take a while to choose!)






I pinned in my hems and got ready to sew
but my sewing machine did not like the oilcloth One. Little. Bit.
it gripped to it like glue
I googled my problem
and came across three solutions

Number one: buy a teflon sewing machine foot 
(google obviously doesn't realize how impatient I am !)

 Number two: edge with bias binding
It is true, that as I make bunting I have the stuff coming out of my ears
but I thought it may get grubby over time

Number three: sew over tissue paper... AH HA! Perfect
and it worked a treat.






I am so happy with my pretty table
it makes my heart skip a beat each time I see it.
It really doesn't take much to make me happy!



more soon 
j x


13 comments:

  1. Great tip - thanks for sharing! And just love the tablecloth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. Lovely table cloth:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely - it's amazing how making something like that can make you smile every time you see it, isn't it? I made pegbags from oilcloth for Christmas one year - my sewing machine just couldn't cope with it either, so I used baking parchment!
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your like me...simple little things just make you happy. Love the Table cloth. I knew about the Teflon coated foot but not about Tissue paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Tablecloth! It looks very pretty, makes mine look a bit tatty now actually!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah tissuepaper - good tip - love your new look table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jooles and thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog. Always lovely to hear from new people.

    Lor' I know what you mean about brown kitchens - our is the same and is depressing me to death! It's not really helped by the fact that even the floor is brown with broken boards to boot...hmm, such a delight!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just one word - SUPERGORGEOUS! It looks amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is beautiful!!!!! Oh Cath, how you do tempt me. Thank you for sharing your tips, too--I have some oilcloth waiting its turn, and am impatient also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Thanks for leaving such a lovely comment on my blog! Your blog has a really homely feel - I shall certainly be checking in regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been there with the tissue paper! Excellent solution to an unpleasant problem. Love the fabric you chose.
    Kristina
    Sweetfern Handmade

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! And a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How i love your tablecloth...I wish we had a CK store I could just pop into! I will remember the tissue paper..thanks. Love you blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by..... I love it that you do!
Your kind comments make my day & I love to know what you think.

If you ask me a question please tick the 'Notify Me' box so you'll know when I have responded.

Love Jooles x x x